By John Farndon, Belinda Gallagher, Lucy Dowling, Jo Brewer
This ebook offers a wealthy resource of data with greatest effect and minimal muddle. precisely a thousand evidence are lined through a hundred subject matters, every one with 10 key issues that offer an easy yet memorable deal with at the topic. interesting info panels in addition to prolonged captions magnify this fast hearth process.
By Ray Laurence
The is still of Roman roads are a robust reminder of the trip and communications procedure that used to be had to rule an enormous and numerous empire. but few humans have puzzled simply how the Romans - either army and civilians - travelled, or tested their geographical knowing in an period which provided a drastically elevated power for relocating round, and an even bigger selection of destinations.
This quantity offers new views on those matters, and a few arguable arguments; for example, that shuttle used to be now not restricted to the elite, and that maps as we all know them didn't exist within the empire. the army value of shipping and verbal exchange networks can be a spotlight, as is the imperial submit procedure (cursus publicus), and the logistics and value of delivery in either conquest and administration.
With greater than 40 images, maps and illustrations, this assortment offers a brand new figuring out of the function and significance of shuttle, and of the character of geographical wisdom, within the Roman global,
By Nick Middleton
Deserts make up a 3rd of the planet's land floor, but when you photograph a wasteland, what involves brain? A sandy desert? A drought-parched dirt bowl? An alien panorama without all lifestyles types? during this significant Very brief creation, geographer and renowned technology author Nick Middleton finds that deserts are areas of great traditional attraction and wealthy biodiversity. Typified via drought and extremes of temperature, they are often harsh and opposed, yet Middleton exhibits that many deserts also are spectacularly attractive, and sometimes they could teem with existence. the writer highlights how each one wilderness is exclusive, describing their usually awesome lifestyles kinds, impressive surroundings, and lengthy background of inventive human habitation. Written through a revered scientist who enjoys a large following for his Going to Extremes tv sequence on nationwide Geographic, Deserts tells you every little thing you ever desired to learn about those amazing locations and captures their significance within the operating of our planet.
By A. H. Merrills
The civilized international witnessed huge political, social and spiritual switch from the 5th century to the 8th century. Geographical and historic suggestion, lengthy rooted to Roman ideologies, needed to undertake new views of past due antiquity. Taking their lead from Orosius within the early 5th century, Latin historians grew to become more and more to geographical description, in addition to old narrative, to ascertain the realm round them. This publication explores the interdependence of geographical and historic modes of expression in 4 of crucial writers of the interval: Orosius, Jordanes, Isidore of Seville and the Venerable Bede.
By Erik Westra
If you are skilled in Python this is a chance to get deep into Geospatial improvement, linking information to worldwide destinations. No earlier wisdom required - this e-book takes you thru all of it, step by way of step.
- Build your individual whole and complex mapping purposes in Python.
- Walks you thru the method of creating your individual on-line procedure for viewing and enhancing geospatial data
- Practical, hands-on instructional that teaches you all approximately geospatial improvement in Python
Geospatial improvement hyperlinks your information to areas at the Earth’s floor. Writing geospatial courses consists of initiatives corresponding to grouping information through situation, storing and reading quite a lot of spatial details, acting complicated geospatial calculations, and drawing colourful interactive maps. to be able to do that good, you’ll want applicable instruments and strategies, in addition to an intensive figuring out of geospatial innovations reminiscent of map projections, datums and coordinate systems.
Python Geospatial improvement, moment variation teaches you every thing you want to find out about writing geospatial purposes utilizing Python. No earlier wisdom of geospatial thoughts, instruments or ideas is needed. The e-book courses you thru the method of putting in and utilizing a variety of toolkits, acquiring geospatial info to be used on your courses, and construction entire and complicated geospatial functions in Python.
Python Geospatial improvement teaches you every thing you want to find out about writing geospatial purposes utilizing Python. No previous wisdom of geospatial suggestions, instruments or ideas is needed. The e-book publications you thru the method of putting in and utilizing numerous toolkits, acquiring geospatial information to be used on your courses, and development entire and complex geospatial functions in Python.
This e-book offers an outline of the most important geospatial thoughts, info resources and toolkits. It teaches you ways to shop and entry spatial facts utilizing Python, how you can practice a number of spatial calculations, and the way to shop spatial facts in a database. simply because maps are such an enormous element of geospatial programming, the e-book teaches you the way to construct your individual "slippy map" interface inside an internet software, and finishes with the specific building of a geospatial facts editor utilizing Geodjango.
Whether you need to write quickly utilities to unravel spatial difficulties, or improve refined internet functions established round maps and geospatial facts, this ebook contains every little thing you want to know.
What you are going to study from this book
- Access, control and reveal geospatial facts from inside of your Python programs
- Master the center geospatial options of situation, distance, devices, projections and datums
- Read and write geospatial info in either vector and raster format
- Perform advanced, real-world geospatial calculations utilizing Python
- Store and entry geospatial info in a database
- Use issues, strains and polygons inside your Python programs
- Use Python-based instruments for changing geospatial info into reliable having a look maps
- Build whole web-based mapping functions utilizing Python
This is an instructional variety e-book that may educate utilization of Python instruments for GIS utilizing basic functional examples after which enable you to construct an entire mapping software from scratch. The e-book assumes simple wisdom of Python. No wisdom of Open resource GIS is required.
By Mark Boyle
Utilizing the tale of the “West and the area” as its backdrop, this publication offers for starting scholars a transparent and concise creation to Human Geography, together with its key ideas, seminal thinkers and their theories, modern debates, and celebrated case studies.
- Introduces and applies the fundamental techniques of human geography in transparent, concise, and fascinating prose
- Explores the importance of the increase, reign, and faltering of the West from round the 15th century within the shaping of the foremost demographic, environmental, social, fiscal, political, and cultural strategies lively on the earth today
- Addresses vital thinkers, debates, and theories in an available demeanour with a spotlight on discerning the inherent Western bias in human geographical ideas
- Incorporates case reviews that discover human geographies that are being made in either Western and non Western areas, together with Latin the United States, Africa and Asia.
- Is written on the way to be obtainable to scholars and includes bankruptcy studying pursuits, checklists of key rules, bankruptcy essay questions, zoom in bins, tips for extra studying and a ebook glossary.
- Accompanied through an internet site at www.wiley.com/go/boyle that includes, for college kids, instructional routines, bonus zoom in bins, hyperlinks to extra studying assets and biographies of key thinkers, and for teachers, additional essay questions, a number of selection examination questions, and ppt lecture slides for every chapter.
By Robert J. Sampson
By Alan H. Strahler, Zeeya Merali
This debut variation of Visualizing actual Geography encompasses the technological know-how of actual geography from neighborhood to worldwide scales, utilizing a uniquely visible method of take scholars on a trip from the pinnacle layers of the Earth’s surroundings to the rocks underlying the sea basins to the forests of the farthest continents. As scholars discover the serious themes of actual geography, their research of the weather, floor gains, and habitats around the globe makes use of simple innovations of ecology, geology, chemistry, environmental technology, biology, and physics and plenty of different disciplines. Visualizing actual Geography reinforces those interacting elements and, with its most desirable artwork application (in partnership with National Geographic), vividly illustrates the interconnectedness of actual strategies that weave jointly to create our planet’s dynamic floor and atmosphere.
Visualizing Geography is predicated seriously at the integration of National Geographic and different visuals with textual content to clarify thoughts for college students and solidify their knowing of them. The objective is to aid scholars comprehend the realm round them and interpret what they see in a significant, actual and intriguing method. The content material, layout and format of the textual content takes good thing about the entire ability within which scholars strategy info – visible in addition to verbal.
Visualizing Geography additionally is helping scholars learn their very own own learning and studying types with a number of new pedagogical aids -- encouraging scholars to use what they're studying to their daily lives. Visualizing Geography keeps to provide ongoing examine assistance and mental suggestions for learning the material. most significantly scholars are supplied with a number of possibilities to right away entry their understanding.
By Charles B. Travis
Preface: summary machine
Part 1: GIS and the electronic humanities
From Lascaux to the ocean of Tranquility
What is a GIS?
GIS and the electronic humanities
2. towards the spatial turn
A short background of Western geographical thought
GIS and the gap of conjecture
3. Writing time and area with GIS: The conquest and mapping of seventeenth-century eire
Period, position, and GIS
Geovisualizing Irish history
Rebellion and conquest in 3D
Surveying the Cromwellian Settlement
William Petty and the Down Survey
From the ballybetagh to the barony
The Books of Survey and Distribution
Database mapping the Books
Visualizing the webs of history
Part 2: Writers, texts, and mapping
4. GIS and the poetic eye
Creating a electronic dinnseanchas
Plotting the poetic eye
5. Modeling and visualizing in GIS: The topological affects of Homer’s Odyssey and Dante’s Inferno on James Joyce’s Ulysses (1922)
Homer and Dante’s topologies
The topologies of Ulysses
Middle of Hell (City of Dis)
Visualizing a “new Inferno in complete sail”
6. Psychogeographical GIS: making a “kaleidoscope built with consciousness,”
Flann O’Brien’s At Swim-Two-Birds (1939)
The novel as city GIS
Spatializing At Swim-Two-Birds
Psychogeographical mapping with GIS
7. Geovisualizing Beckett
Samuel Beckett’s GIStimeline
Beckett’s bottled climates
Bricolage and biography
Part three. towards a humanities GIS
8. The terrae incognitae of humanities GIS
The misplaced mapmaker
The map theater
The geographer’s technological know-how and the storyteller’s artwork