By Sarah Ogilvie
Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World is an authoritative single-volume reference source comprehensively describing the most important languages and language households of the area.
It will supply complete descriptions of the phonology, semantics, morphology, and syntax of the world’s significant languages, giving insights into their constitution, heritage and improvement, sounds, which means, constitution, and language kinfolk, thereby either highlighting their variety for comparative learn, and contextualizing them based on their genetic relationships and nearby distribution.
Based at the hugely acclaimed and award-winning Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, this quantity will supply an edited selection of virtually four hundred articles all through which a consultant subset of the world's significant languages are spread out and defined in updated terminology and authoritative interpretation, by means of the major students in linguistics.
In highlighting the range of the world’s languages ― from the thriving to the endangered and extinct ― this paintings stands out as the first element of name to any language professional drawn to this massive quarter. No different unmarried quantity will fit the level of language assurance or the authority of the individuals of Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World.
* notable breadth of assurance: a finished number of slightly below four hundred articles overlaying the world's significant languages, language households, and category constructions, matters and disputes
* Peerless caliber: in line with twenty years of educational improvement on variations of the major reference source in linguistics, Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics
* distinctive authorship: 350 of the world's top specialists introduced jointly for one purpose
* unheard of editorial choice, overview and validation procedure: Keith Brown and Sarah Ogilvie act as first-tier guarantors for article caliber and coverage
* Compact and reasonable: one-volume structure makes this compatible for private research at any establishment drawn to areal, descriptive, or comparative language research - and at a fragment of the price of the total encyclopedia